2.08.2010

ENDORSE: Muji + Pens

I am always on the look for simple, minimal, useful objects. Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. I believe Da Vinci said that. Enter Muji. Started in Japan in 1980, Muji is known for its minimalism in product design, avoidance of waste in packaging and production, and no-logo or "no brand" policy. Muji is a high quality brand but is able to keep prices lower than expected. This is accomplished through the selction of cheap materials, emphasis on recycling, and a streamlined manufacturing process. We could all learn a few lessons here. What I admire most about this brand are its designs and "no brand" policy. On its website Muji states that "at the heart of Muji design is the Japanese concept of "Kanetsu", the concept of simplicity". The "no brand" strategy means that little money is spent on marketing or advertising. The success of the company rests first on word of mouth and then on consumer satisfaction. With over 300 stores in Japan, the formula seems to be working.

I admire a good amount of the company products, but none more that its Gel-Ink Ball-Point pens. I've noticed a fair amount of creative types in my office with the same Muji pens. The trend seems to be catching on. My friend D.S., the self proclaimed "arbiter of cool" (don't ask), has amassed quite a ridiculous collection, with a few hundred to his name.

I was recently on a shopping trip in NYC and picked up a few new colors as well as a calendar for my Dad.
I prefer the .38mm, but the .5mm will do.
The color caps with point size make selecting from your pen cup easy.
A shot of the display in the Muji store. $1.25 each. Steal.

Unfortunately, if you live in the U.S.A., your Muji in store experience is limited to NYC. There are three stores located there, one in Times Square, Chelsea, and Soho. Each store is closed a random weekday so check it out before you go. Everyone else can visit the website and order pens and other good stuff online here.

2 comments:

Piper said...

These pens look pretty complicated to me. I'm gonna check out the store next chance i get and pick some up. Then I will assess their true simplicity.

Colin Montgomorie said...

Got Mujis all up in London!

Lemme know if you want me to bring some back next time I bounce back..