1.27.2010

INFATUATE: 1988 EXTREME!

In 1988, when I was a little runny nosed kid, the Blizzard of Aahhh's was released. A few years later, Blizzard was given to my older brother and me as a Christmas gift from our Uncle Steve. Our lives changed. We loved skiing, but we had never seen skiing quite like this. We had our own sports stars at the time - Reggie Lewis, Mike Greenwell, Kevin Dineen - the list goes on. Who were these guys on screen? Scot Schmidt? Mike Hattrup? Rasta Stevie? They seemed pretty cool. Then Glen Plake showed up. With a Mohawk. A helmet camera. And neon clothes. Jumping off cliffs like a mad man with an amazing soundtrack pumping in the background. A warrior of the wasteland. We couldn't wait to go skiing...everyday for the next ten years.




The best ski movie ever made. If you are a skier - and you haven't seen this movie - just start snowboarding immediately.

Plake on the cover of Powder Magazine, October 1988. Wish I had that bonus poster.

Looking back, and to no surprise I suppose, what I liked most about Plake was his steeze. A bit different from the rest is an understatement. He slapped traditional and privileged ski kids in the face with his brash attitude and insane wardrobe. People from California skied? We learned quickly. A ski rebel and a ski hero, I am creating a 2010, via 1988, head-to-toe bad ass ski outfit in honor of my favorite style icon skier of all time, Glen Plake. I love the use of blue and green neon with the pop of pink neon only used in the extremities - goggles, gloves, and boots.

Bern Macon Helmet

Coal Frena Beanie

Sessions Work Jacket

Nixon Vega Watch

Armada Cosmo Glove


K2 V8 Ski Pole

Billabong Gunner Pant


Technica Agent 130 Boot

K2 Obsethed Ski



For the opening Credits of Blizzard of Aahhh's, click here.
For a quick 1988 Plake introduction, click here.
For skiers that still haven't seen this movie, click here.

8 comments:

Slattery said...

Blizzard is the best movie of all time!

Some great moments and quotes in there:

"Notice the backhandspring over the crevasse!"


Also have to mention the wicked soundtrack - Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Alpha Blondy, Snobbery and Decayyyyy!

Tom Day said...

... taking the easy way out

Mike Hattrup said...

"I look back at his tails and it says 215. [swallow] Now this is the day before the competition [swallow] and he's ripping the bumps on DH boards.."

Andrew said...

I believe those DH boards may have been longer than 215.

Scott Kennet's Husky said...

My owner says "totally untracked" all the time...

Zudnick said...

My name is Zudnick the Husky!!

And I'm famoous bitch - check out my highlight video...


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZewvs_c5OE

Rasta Stevie said...

My vision of Telluride would be a funky unique place where dirtbags like myself can live in unity with Jah iration

Glen Plake said...

I ripped that mogul course on DH boards, but they were 220 not 215.

Get it straight Hattrup. And try not to kill yourself in the couloir.