1.11.2010

EXPOSE: John Prine

I rediscovered John Prine listening to Pandora at my office. I hadn't heard his music in a very long time and with the Americana revival trend in high gear I found his songwriting more refreshing than ever. His first album contains so many of my favorite songs - I had forgotten they were all on the same record. From there I searched around and listened for hours, mostly to his most recent album, 2007's Songs for Average People, which I had not yet heard.




John Prine, 1971

John Prine was born in Maywood, Illinois in 1946. He got his start playing open mics and small gigs in Chicago and received his first review from movie critic Roger Ebert. He was discovered by Kris Kristofferson and went on to become a main figure in the Chicago Folk Revival. In 1971, Prine released his first album, John Prine. Featured on this album were signature songs "Far From Me" and "Sam Stone", as well as country standards "Angel From Montgomery" and "Paradise".

Prine has released 19 albums so far in his career. Good friends Roger Waters of Pink Floyd and Johnny Cash have given Prine's song writing the highest praises over the years. Kristofferson once remarked his song writing was so good that "we'll have to break his thumbs!" I'm sure most of you out there have heard Prine's music here and there, but if not recently, give it another listen. I can't wait to go on a road trip soon and play some Prine along the way.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

roadtrip this weekend?